History of the town
Český Brod is a very old Gothic town, which was most probably founded by the Bishop of Prague John I in the 12th century on one of the most important provincial routes - the Trstenicka - which at that time connected Prague with southern and eastern Europe as a market settlement. After the middle of the 13th century, the Bishop of Prague, John III of Dražice, promoted the local market settlement to the town of Biskupský Brod (Broda Episcopalis). Thanks to trade, tourism and extensive agricultural facilities, Biskupský Brod soon became an important trading, market and accommodation centre. By the beginning of the 14th century, the altered local name of Český Brod (Broda Bohemicalis) was already in use to distinguish it from Německý Brod, which was on the same trade route.
The Hussite Past and the Elevation of the Town
Before 1402, the townspeople of Český Brod built a town hall, according to the custom of the time, in the middle of the square. After the disintegration of the Archbishop's district of Ceskobrod and other historical events, the town was occupied by Emperor Sigismund. In 1421, the town was conquered by the Pragueers and their Hussite allies, and so Český Brod was temporarily incorporated into the Union of Orphan Towns. Shortly after the Battle of Lipany, the town's representatives concluded a truce with the lordly coalition and during negotiations with Emperor Sigismund, they obtained confirmation of the revolutionary freedoms, and then on 4 February 1437 the Emperor elevated Český Brod to a free royal town. According to the present knowledge of history and its evaluation, the people of Cesky Brod showed enough discretion at that time and started the path to the development and prosperity of their town with their decision.
Among the most important historical monuments of the town are the Church of St. Gotthard, the late Gothic detached Bell tower and the old Town Hall No. 1, already mentioned. The old Gothic cellars and the connecting underground corridor system, which connected these underground spaces and undoubtedly had a defensive significance, are still largely preserved under the houses of the historic core of the town. Nowadays, a part of it has been uncovered and made accessible.
In the centre of the town there is a Baroque sculpture of the Holy Family by F. M. Brokoff.
Other monuments worth mentioning include the Neo-Renaissance building of the Podlipanský Museum, the work of arch. Antonín Balšánek, as well as the monument to Prokop the Great, the work of sculptor Karel Opatrný, and the building of the Sokolovna designed by prof. Jan Koula. The medieval walls, which are no longer intact and are without their entrance gates, which were demolished in the past, are also an important monument. The remains of the old fortifications are gradually being restored.
Today's Český Brod, which includes the former villages of Štolmíř and Liblice, is a peaceful town of about seven thousand people with minimal industry. It is the second largest town in the Kolín district. Thanks to the railway, a large part of the population commutes to work in Prague and Kolín.
Český Brod is a town that is worth a visit and as a starting point for visiting
interesting surroundings - the Lipan battlefield, the Dolánky natural site,
nearby Kostelec nad Černými Lesy, the protected landscape area Klepec Hill, the
Tismic Basilica, the Tuchoraz Fortress, etc. Český Brod is a town that deserves